Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.37%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Real Estate Investment , Financials and Telecoms Services sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.37%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Incitec Pivot Ltd (AX: IPL ), which rose 9.79% or 0.280 points to trade at 3.140 at the close. M Pharma Fp (AX: MYX ) added 4.81% or 0.065 points to end at 1.415 and Macquarie Group Ltd (AX: MQG ) was up 4.32% or 2.895 points to 69.895 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ), which lost 10.11% or 0.950 points to trade at 8.450 in late trade. Bluescope Steel Ltd (AX: BSL ) declined 7.73% or 0.490 points to end at 5.850 and Greencross Ltd (AX: GXL ) shed 7.30% or 0.555 points to 7.045.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 595 to 454 and 346 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 3.16% to 18.306.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was up 0.13% or 1.65 to $1268.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 0.07% or 0.03 to hit $43.41 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.39% or 0.17 to trade at $43.80 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.16% to 0.7329, while AUD/JPY rose 0.59% to 79.72.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.03% at 94.17.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or