Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.49%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Materials , Consumer Discretionary and Metals & Mining sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.49% to hit a new 1-month high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were South32 Ltd (AX: S32 ), which rose 6.08% or 0.113 points to trade at 1.962 at the close. ANZ Banking Group (AX: ANZ ) added 4.97% or 1.150 points to end at 24.270 and Automotive Group Holdings Ltd (AX: AHG ) was up 4.26% or 0.170 points to 4.160 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Evolution Mining Ltd (AX: EVN ), which lost 3.43% or 0.105 points to trade at 2.955 in late trade. Altium Ltd (AX: ALU ) declined 3.13% or 0.220 points to end at 6.820 and Covermore Fpo (AX: CVO ) shed 2.69% or 0.035 points to 1.265.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 621 to 450 and 350 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 3.88% to 16.726.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was up 0.02% or 0.25 to $1356.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.11% or 0.05 to hit $44.81 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.22% or 0.10 to trade at $46.35 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.70% to 0.7587, while AUD/JPY rose 0.96% to 78.19.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.21% at 96.38.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or