Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 0.54%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Telecoms Services , Consumer Staples and Real Estate Investment sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.54% to hit a new 52-week high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Bega Cheese Ltd (AX: BGA ), which rose 5.96% or 0.240 points to trade at 4.270 at the close. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Ltd (AX: FPH ) added 4.04% or 0.320 points to end at 8.240 and TPG Telecom Ltd (AX: TPM ) was up 3.69% or 0.240 points to 6.740 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Estia Health Ltd (AX: EHE ), which lost 5.32% or 0.140 points to trade at 2.490 in late trade. Asaleo Care (AX: AHY ) declined 4.73% or 0.070 points to end at 1.410 and Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ) shed 2.93% or 0.080 points to 2.650.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 566 to 426 and 315 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 3.01% to 10.217 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 0.18% or 2.05 to $1131.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.13% or 0.07 to hit $52.56 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.24% or 0.13 to trade at $54.59 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.06% to 0.7229, while AUD/JPY rose 0.11% to 85.06.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.04% at 103.00.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or