At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 1.45%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Genworth Fp (AX: GMA ), which rose 8.26% or 0.190 points to trade at 2.490 at the close. Mesoblast Ltd (AX: MSB ) added 6.64% or 0.160 points to end at 2.570 and IPH Ltd (AX: IPH ) was up 6.53% or 0.400 points to 6.530 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Worleyparsons Ltd (AX: WOR ), which lost 3.93% or 0.220 points to trade at 5.380 in late trade. St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) declined 3.38% or 0.070 points to end at 2.000 and OZ Minerals Ltd (AX: OZL ) shed 2.14% or 0.110 points to 5.030.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 594 to 335 and 301 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 4.07% to 16.327.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was up 0.11% or 1.30 to $1229.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 1.15% or 0.44 to hit $37.88 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.90% or 0.36 to trade at $39.69 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.26% to 0.7651, while AUD/JPY fell 0.39% to 85.90.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.14% at 94.92.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.