Australia shares higher at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 up 3.34%
Investing.com – Australia equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the IT , Metals & Mining and Materials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 3.34%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Aconex Ltd (AX: ACX ), which rose 13.93% or 0.730 points to trade at 5.970 at the close. Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ) added 13.39% or 1.460 points to end at 12.360 and Bluescope Steel Ltd (AX: BSL ) was up 12.97% or 0.960 points to 8.360 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Regis Resources Ltd (AX: RRL ), which lost 9.92% or 0.360 points to trade at 3.270 in late trade. St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) declined 9.15% or 0.270 points to end at 2.680 and Saracen Mineral Holdings Ltd (AX: SAR ) shed 8.75% or 0.123 points to 1.278.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 858 to 299 and 229 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 25.45% to 15.677.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was up 0.77% or 9.75 to $1283.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.07% or 0.03 to hit $45.24 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 0.19% or 0.09 to trade at $46.45 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.46% to 0.7671, while AUD/JPY rose 0.42% to 81.03.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.13% at 98.53.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or