Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.10%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Telecoms Services , Energy and Resources sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 lost 0.10%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Seven Group Holdings Ltd (AX: SVW ), which rose 9.66% or 1.080 points to trade at 12.260 at the close. Brambles Ltd (AX: BXB ) added 4.67% or 0.420 points to end at 9.420 and Cleanaway Waste Management Ltd (AX: CWY ) was up 2.91% or 0.040 points to 1.415 in late trade.
Biggest losers included TPG Telecom Ltd (AX: TPM ), which lost 6.56% or 0.360 points to trade at 5.130 in late trade. Asaleo Care (AX: AHY ) declined 4.32% or 0.070 points to end at 1.550 and Nanosonics Ltd (AX: NAN ) shed 3.72% or 0.100 points to 2.590.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 589 to 551 and 374 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 2.26% to 11.930 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.51% or 6.71 to $1317.31 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.64% or 0.32 to hit $50.22 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.38% or 0.21 to trade at $55.35 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.12% to 0.8020, while AUD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 89.38.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.12% at 91.51.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or