Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.16%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Energy , Healthcare and Utilities sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 lost 0.16%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Regis Resources Ltd (AX: RRL ), which rose 5.91% or 0.260 points to trade at 4.660 at the close. Northern Star Resources Ltd (AX: NST ) added 5.26% or 0.450 points to end at 9.010 and St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) was up 5.17% or 0.230 points to 4.680 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bega Cheese Ltd (AX: BGA ), which lost 12.32% or 0.700 points to trade at 4.980 in late trade. Mayne Pharma Group Ltd (AX: MYX ) declined 8.05% or 0.070 points to end at 0.800 and Syrah Resources Ltd (AX: SYR ) shed 7.10% or 0.120 points to 1.570.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 687 to 475 and 317 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 0.40% to 17.606.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.06% or 0.75 to $1254.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.56% or 0.26 to hit $46.86 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.66% or 0.37 to trade at $56.63 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.22% to 0.7195, while AUD/JPY rose 0.07% to 80.84.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.23% at 96.347.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or