Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.36%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the IT , Energy and Financials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.36%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Ausdrill Ltd (AX: ASL ), which rose 9.18% or 0.145 points to trade at 1.725 at the close. Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ) added 5.92% or 0.730 points to end at 13.060 and Evolution Mining Ltd (AX: EVN ) was up 4.81% or 0.130 points to 2.830 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ), which lost 7.91% or 0.405 points to trade at 4.715 in late trade. Spark Infrastructure Group (AX: SKI ) declined 3.75% or 0.090 points to end at 2.310 and Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ) shed 3.30% or 0.090 points to 2.640.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 676 to 507 and 378 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 2.44% to 12.044.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.11% or 1.30 to $1205.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.46% or 0.32 to hit $70.12 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.12% or 0.09 to trade at $78.06 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.21% to 0.7228, while AUD/JPY rose 0.31% to 80.38.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.12% at 95.18.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or