At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.52% to hit a new 3-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Resolute Mining Ltd (AX: RSG ), which rose 2.76% or 0.035 points to trade at 1.305 at the close. Northern Star Resources Ltd (AX: NST ) added 2.65% or 0.180 points to end at 6.960 and Retail Food Group Ltd (AX: RFG ) was up 2.43% or 0.025 points to 1.055 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Genworth Mortgage Insurance Australia Ltd (AX: GMA ), which lost 3.83% or 0.090 points to trade at 2.260 in late trade. Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ) declined 3.66% or 0.120 points to end at 3.160 and Syrah Resources Ltd (AX: SYR ) shed 3.55% or 0.130 points to 3.530.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 735 to 499 and 362 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 5.16% to 16.395 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.39% or 5.20 to $1344.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.53% or 0.35 to hit $65.53 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.33% or 0.23 to trade at $69.58 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.31% to 0.7723, while AUD/JPY rose 0.61% to 81.12.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 89.08.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.