At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.53%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Telstra Corporation Ltd. (AX: TLS ), which rose 8.11% or 0.240 points to trade at 3.200 at the close. St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) added 7.14% or 0.320 points to end at 4.800 and Saracen Mineral Holdings Ltd (AX: SAR ) was up 6.80% or 0.200 points to 3.140 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Eclipx Group Ltd (AX: ECX ), which lost 16.54% or 0.440 points to trade at 2.220 in late trade. Resmed Inc DRC (AX: RMD ) declined 10.44% or 1.510 points to end at 12.960 and Incitec Pivot Ltd (AX: IPL ) shed 7.87% or 0.280 points to 3.280.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 689 to 453 and 336 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 12.03% to 13.424.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.00% or 0.05 to $1303.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 0.81% or 0.42 to hit $52.41 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.75% or 0.45 to trade at $60.26 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.01% to 0.7164, while AUD/JPY fell 0.03% to 78.31.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 95.407.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.