Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.82%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Financials , Consumer Discretionary and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.82% to hit a new 6-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Altium Ltd (AX: ALU ), which rose 11.76% or 1.000 points to trade at 9.500 at the close. Resolute Mining Ltd (AX: RSG ) added 7.58% or 0.080 points to end at 1.135 and Blackmores Ltd (AX: BKL ) was up 7.03% or 6.41 points to 97.58 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chorus Ltd (AX: CNU ), which lost 6.68% or 0.265 points to trade at 3.705 in late trade. Australian Agricultural Company Ltd (AX: AAC ) declined 4.91% or 0.080 points to end at 1.550 and Nanosonics Ltd (AX: NAN ) shed 4.69% or 0.120 points to 2.440.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 685 to 470 and 347 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 7.43% to 13.634.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.60% or 7.94 to $1323.24 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.49% or 0.23 to hit $46.80 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.35% or 0.18 to trade at $51.60 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.53% to 0.7926, while AUD/JPY fell 0.88% to 86.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.08% at 92.10.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or