Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.89%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Energy , Telecoms Services and Consumer Discretionary sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.89%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Evolution Mining Ltd (AX: EVN ), which rose 4.87% or 0.130 points to trade at 2.800 at the close. Resolute Mining Ltd (AX: RSG ) added 4.25% or 0.045 points to end at 1.105 and Carsales.Com Ltd (AX: CAR ) was up 2.32% or 0.320 points to 14.090 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Myer Holdings Ltd (AX: MYR ), which lost 9.69% or 0.063 points to trade at 0.583 in late trade. Wisetech Global Ltd (AX: WTC ) declined 6.95% or 0.990 points to end at 13.250 and Tabcorp Holdings Ltd (AX: TAH ) shed 5.25% or 0.250 points to 4.510.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 949 to 338 and 297 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 11.50% to 21.501.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.08% or 1.00 to $1320.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.05% or 0.64 to hit $60.51 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.71% or 0.46 to trade at $64.35 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.04% to 0.7778, while AUD/JPY rose 0.12% to 84.70.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 90.14.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or