Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 1.01%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Consumer Staples , Energy and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 lost 1.01%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Retail Food Group Ltd (AX: RFG ), which rose 5.26% or 0.060 points to trade at 1.200 at the close. Resolute Mining Ltd (AX: RSG ) added 3.40% or 0.040 points to end at 1.215 and Regis Resources Ltd (AX: RRL ) was up 2.45% or 0.110 points to 4.600 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Monadelphous Group Ltd (AX: MND ), which lost 6.62% or 1.040 points to trade at 14.680 in late trade. Estia Health Ltd (AX: EHE ) declined 5.14% or 0.180 points to end at 3.320 and Platinum Asset Management Ltd (AX: PTM ) shed 4.19% or 0.260 points to 5.950.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 740 to 456 and 376 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 10.58% to 15.664.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.01% or 0.10 to $1335.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 0.81% or 0.51 to hit $62.09 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.82% or 0.54 to trade at $65.25 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.37% to 0.7800, while AUD/JPY fell 0.87% to 82.37.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 89.47.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or