Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.49%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Telecoms Services , Financials and Energy sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.49%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ), which rose 6.18% or 0.028 points to trade at 0.472 at the close. A2 Milk Company Ltd (AX: A2M ) added 4.24% or 0.120 points to end at 2.950 and Estia Health Ltd (AX: EHE ) was up 3.81% or 0.120 points to 3.270 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ), which lost 4.98% or 0.230 points to trade at 4.390 in late trade. ASX Ltd (AX: ASX ) declined 3.29% or 1.655 points to end at 48.665 and Virtus Health Ltd (AX: VRT ) shed 3.09% or 0.180 points to 5.640.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 620 to 501 and 343 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 3.63% to 12.246.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.62% or 7.75 to $1256.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.61% or 0.31 to hit $50.84 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.57% or 0.31 to trade at $54.05 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.38% to 0.7542, while AUD/JPY fell 0.67% to 83.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.10% at 100.36.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or