Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.54%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Real Estate Investment , Financials and Energy sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.54%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Vocus Fpo (AX: VOC ), which rose 9.68% or 0.300 points to trade at 3.400 at the close. TPG Telecom Ltd (AX: TPM ) added 6.91% or 0.380 points to end at 5.880 and Brambles Ltd (AX: BXB ) was up 6.15% or 0.590 points to 10.190 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Independence Group NL (AX: IGO ), which lost 7.58% or 0.270 points to trade at 3.290 in late trade. Evolution Mining Ltd (AX: EVN ) declined 4.20% or 0.105 points to end at 2.395 and Syrah Res F (AX: SYR ) shed 4.13% or 0.100 points to 2.320.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 656 to 403 and 401 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.09% to 13.658.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.59% or 7.60 to $1286.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.23% or 0.12 to hit $52.29 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.29% or 0.16 to trade at $54.73 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.52% to 0.7521, while AUD/JPY fell 0.29% to 81.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.13% at 99.54.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or