At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.75%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Cleanaway Waste Management Ltd (AX: CWY ), which rose 5.33% or 0.040 points to trade at 0.790 at the close. Pacific Brands Ltd (AX: PBG ) added 5.00% or 0.045 points to end at 0.945 and St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) was up 4.19% or 0.090 points to 2.240 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Select Harvests Ltd (AX: SHV ), which lost 6.63% or 0.330 points to trade at 4.650 in late trade. Liquefied Natural Gas Ltd (AX: LNG ) declined 5.83% or 0.035 points to end at 0.565 and Broadspectrum Ltd (AX: BRS ) shed 4.93% or 0.055 points to 1.060.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 511 to 495 and 333 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 5.35% to 18.913 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was up 0.19% or 2.40 to $1245.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 1.00% or 0.44 to hit $44.48 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.03% or 0.47 to trade at $46.05 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 1.56% to 0.7627, while AUD/JPY fell 1.66% to 84.82.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.05% at 94.50.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.