At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.94% to hit a new 1-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Liquefied Natural Gas Ltd (AX: LNG ), which rose 14.86% or 0.110 points to trade at 0.850 at the close. Mesoblast Ltd (AX: MSB ) added 11.26% or 0.125 points to end at 1.235 and Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ) was up 3.67% or 0.385 points to 10.885 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Select Harvests Ltd (AX: SHV ), which lost 4.75% or 0.330 points to trade at 6.620 in late trade. Sandfire Resources NL (AX: SFR ) declined 3.64% or 0.195 points to end at 5.155 and OZ Minerals Ltd (AX: OZL ) shed 3.60% or 0.200 points to 5.360.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 600 to 435 and 327 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 1.90% to 20.317 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was up 0.07% or 0.85 to $1288.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 1.36% or 0.66 to hit $47.83 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 1.34% or 0.67 to trade at $49.16 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.22% to 0.7375, while AUD/JPY rose 0.26% to 78.27.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.01% at 95.02.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.