Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 1.57%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Healthcare , Financials and Consumer Staples sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 lost 1.57%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Aconex Ltd (AX: ACX ), which rose 4.30% or 0.260 points to trade at 6.300 at the close. News Corp B (AX: NWS ) added 3.24% or 0.560 points to end at 17.820 and Sims Metal Management Ltd (AX: SGM ) was up 2.17% or 0.190 points to 8.940 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Broadspectrum Ltd (AX: BRS ), which lost 6.64% or 0.085 points to trade at 1.195 in late trade. Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ) declined 6.54% or 0.710 points to end at 10.140 and Mineral Resources Ltd (AX: MIN ) shed 5.39% or 0.320 points to 5.620.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 588 to 323 and 272 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 16.06% to 17.839.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was down 0.16% or 1.90 to $1220.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.71% or 0.28 to hit $39.11 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.88% or 0.36 to trade at $40.51 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.04% to 0.7542, while AUD/JPY rose 0.07% to 85.66.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.09% at 96.08.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or