Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 1.93%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Energy , Healthcare and IT sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 lost 1.93% to hit a new 1-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Metcash Ltd (AX: MTS ), which rose 6.22% or 0.130 points to trade at 2.220 at the close. Independence Group NL (AX: IGO ) added 4.89% or 0.160 points to end at 3.430 and Regis Resources Ltd (AX: RRL ) was up 4.37% or 0.145 points to 3.465 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Mesoblast Ltd (AX: MSB ), which lost 35.68% or 0.685 points to trade at 1.235 in late trade. Liquefied Natural Gas Ltd (AX: LNG ) declined 11.14% or 0.093 points to end at 0.738 and Beach Energy Ltd (AX: BPT ) shed 7.34% or 0.053 points to 0.662.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 778 to 302 and 352 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 25.88% to 20.495 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was down 0.33% or 4.25 to $1282.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.88% or 0.43 to hit $48.45 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.73% or 0.37 to trade at $49.98 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.16% to 0.7400, while AUD/JPY fell 0.10% to 78.40.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.10% at 94.51.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or