Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 0.42%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Consumer Discretionary , Energy and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite rose 0.42%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Labrador Iron Ore Royalty Corp (TO: LIF ), which rose 8.95% or 1.76 points to trade at 21.43 at the close. Semafo Inc . (TO: SMF ) added 7.03% or 0.23 points to end at 3.42 and Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (TO: IVN ) was up 5.68% or 0.230 points to 4.280 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Guyana Goldfields Inc . (TO: GUY ), which lost 6.56% or 0.280 points to trade at 3.990 in late trade. Pretium Resources Inc. (TO: PVG ) declined 5.49% or 0.58 points to end at 9.98 and Kinross Gold Corporation (TO: K ) shed 5.27% or 0.31 points to 5.57.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 601 to 480 and 139 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 16.15% to 12.73.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.03% or 13.59 to $1311.61 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 0.22% or 0.11 to hit $50.33 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.31% or 0.17 to trade at $55.45 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.87% to 0.8132, while CAD/EUR fell 0.89% to 0.6802.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.17% at 91.81.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or