At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite added 0.11% to hit a new 52-week high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. (TO: IVN ), which rose 16.60% or 0.390 points to trade at 2.740 at the close. BRP Inc. (TO: DOO ) added 9.60% or 2.47 points to end at 28.21 and MEG Energy Corp (TO: MEG ) was up 4.82% or 0.38 points to 8.27 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Alacer Gold Corp (TO: ASR ), which lost 8.76% or 0.190 points to trade at 1.980 in late trade. MAG Silver Corp . (TO: MAG ) declined 8.64% or 1.45 points to end at 15.34 and Pretium Resources Inc. (TO: PVG ) shed 8.13% or 0.99 points to 11.19.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 696 to 494 and 129 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was down 10.56% to 8.64 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 0.99% or 11.55 to $1160.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.14% or 0.58 to hit $51.42 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.72% or 0.39 to trade at $54.28 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.07% to 0.7582, while CAD/EUR rose 0.59% to 0.7185.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.52% at 101.64.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.