Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 0.14%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Clean Technology , Energy and Consumer Discretionary sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite rose 0.14%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Parex Resources Inc (TO: PXT ), which rose 11.39% or 1.570 points to trade at 15.350 at the close. Silver Standard Resources Inc . (TO: SSO ) added 10.73% or 1.94 points to end at 20.02 and Linamar Corporation (TO: LNR ) was up 10.24% or 5.31 points to 57.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc (TO: VRX ), which lost 11.16% or 3.99 points to trade at 31.76 in late trade. Dream Office Real Estate Investment Trust (TO: D_u ) declined 8.98% or 1.67 points to end at 16.92 and Just Energy Group Inc . (TO: JE ) shed 8.28% or 0.65 points to 7.20.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 581 to 579 and 153 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 4.91% to 13.04.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.60% or 8.05 to $1343.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 3.98% or 1.66 to hit $43.37 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 4.25% or 1.87 to trade at $45.92 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.57% to 0.7702, while CAD/EUR rose 0.91% to 0.6913.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.29% at 95.87.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or