At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite added 0.32%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc (TO: VRX ), which rose 18.53% or 7.00 points to trade at 44.77 at the close. Surge Energy Inc . (TO: SGY ) added 13.40% or 0.260 points to end at 2.200 and Enerplus Corporation (TO: ERF ) was up 9.34% or 0.44 points to 5.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Metro Inc . (TO: MRU ), which lost 4.15% or 1.82 points to trade at 42.08 in late trade. B2Gold Corp (TO: BTO ) declined 3.26% or 0.070 points to end at 2.080 and Cogeco Communications Inc (TO: CCA ) shed 3.24% or 2.23 points to 66.62.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 709 to 531 and 331 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was down 3.36% to 18.39.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was down 0.37% or 4.50 to $1225.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 5.21% or 1.87 to hit $37.76 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 5.02% or 1.90 to trade at $39.77 a barrel.
CAD/USD was up 0.29% to 0.7633, while CAD/EUR rose 0.18% to 0.6698.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.11% at 94.51.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.