Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 0.21%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Monday, as losses in the Energy , Materials and Consumer Staples sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite fell 0.21% to hit a new 3-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Aphria Inc (TO: APH ), which rose 6.53% or 1.330 points to trade at 21.700 at the close. Parex Resources Inc (TO: PXT ) added 4.55% or 0.860 points to end at 19.780 and Torex Gold Resources Inc (TO: TXG ) was up 4.11% or 0.380 points to 9.630 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Tahoe Resources Inc (TO: THO ), which lost 6.38% or 0.24 points to trade at 3.52 in late trade. New Gold Inc (TO: NGD ) declined 5.45% or 0.060 points to end at 1.040 and Pan American Silver Corp (TO: PAAS ) shed 3.96% or 0.78 points to 18.93.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 602 to 465 and 138 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 1.71% to 14.87 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.05% or 0.60 to $1201.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.34% or 0.23 to hit $67.52 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.01% or 0.01 to trade at $77.34 a barrel.
CAD/USD was unchanged 0.00% to 0.7597, while CAD/EUR fell 0.03% to 0.6551.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.27% at 95.12.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or