Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 0.36%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Materials , Clean Technology and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite fell 0.36%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Seven Generations Energy Ltd (TSX: VII ), which rose 13.47% or 0.87 points to trade at 7.33 at the close. CannTrust Holdings Inc (TSX: TRST ) added 8.80% or 0.2500 points to end at 3.0900 and Genworth MI Canada Inc . (TSX: MIC ) was up 8.24% or 3.71 points to 48.71 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd (TSX: KL ), which lost 9.28% or 5.575 points to trade at 54.515 in late trade. MAG Silver Corp (TSX: MAG ) declined 8.79% or 1.42 points to end at 14.74 and Sandstorm Gold Ltd . (TSX: SSL ) shed 6.77% or 0.590 points to 8.120.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 572 to 480 and 126 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 4.10% to 11.93 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 1.15% or 16.40 to $1413.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September fell 0.34% or 0.20 to hit $57.85 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $64.30 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.07% to 0.7574, while CAD/EUR fell 0.05% to 0.6838.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.55% at 98.347.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or