At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite lost 0.10%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Intertain Group (TO: IT ), which rose 18.68% or 1.81 points to trade at 11.50 at the close. First Quantum Minerals Ltd . (TO: FM ) added 13.26% or 0.83 points to end at 7.09 and Semafo Inc . (TO: SMF ) was up 8.95% or 0.41 points to 4.99 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Empire Company Ltd (TO: EMPa ), which lost 14.72% or 3.94 points to trade at 22.83 in late trade. Penn West Petroleum Ltd. (TO: PWT ) declined 12.66% or 0.20 points to end at 1.38 and Enghouse Systems Limited (TO: ESL ) shed 6.34% or 3.59 points to 53.04.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 633 to 626 and 333 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was down 1.28% to 21.66.
In commodities trading, Gold for April delivery was up 1.17% or 14.70 to $1272.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 0.99% or 0.38 to hit $37.91 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 2.14% or 0.88 to trade at $40.19 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.74% to 0.7493, while CAD/EUR fell 2.35% to 0.6702.
The US Dollar Index was down 1.03% at 96.19.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.