Canada shares lower at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite down 0.56%
Investing.com – Canada equities were lower at the close on Monday, as losses in the Mining , Energy and Industrials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite lost 0.56%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Bombardier Inc (TO: BBDb ), which rose 5.26% or 0.09 points to trade at 1.80 at the close. DHX Media Ltd (TO: DHXb ) added 4.89% or 0.37 points to end at 7.94 and Artis REIT (TO: AX_u ) was up 2.82% or 0.37 points to 13.51 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nevsun Resources Ltd . (TO: NSU ), which lost 10.21% or 0.480 points to trade at 4.220 in late trade. MEG Energy Corp (TO: MEG ) declined 6.98% or 0.51 points to end at 6.80 and Baytex Energy Corp (TO: BTE ) shed 6.06% or 0.40 points to 6.20.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 503 to 331 and 79 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 12.04% to 16.00.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was up 0.72% or 8.80 to $1238.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 1.74% or 0.76 to hit $42.97 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 1.09% or 0.49 to trade at $44.58 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.09% to 0.7887, while CAD/EUR fell 0.41% to 0.7004.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.34% at 94.79.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or