At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite lost 0.72%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Aecon Group Inc . (TO: ARE ), which rose 6.33% or 0.98 points to trade at 16.46 at the close. Asanko Gold Inc (TO: AKG ) added 6.09% or 0.190 points to end at 3.310 and Cott Corporation (TO: BCB ) was up 5.38% or 0.80 points to 15.66 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Baytex Energy Corp (TO: BTE ), which lost 8.17% or 0.41 points to trade at 4.61 in late trade. MEG Energy Corp (TO: MEG ) declined 7.50% or 0.55 points to end at 6.78 and Secure Energy Services Inc . (TO: SES ) shed 7.36% or 0.77 points to 9.69.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 692 to 466 and 138 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 6.54% to 12.22.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.68% or 8.25 to $1207.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 5.33% or 2.83 to hit $50.31 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 4.81% or 2.69 to trade at $53.23 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.58% to 0.7413, while CAD/EUR fell 0.31% to 0.7031.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.28% at 102.10.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.