Deals of the day-Mergers and acquisitions
Dec 14 (Reuters) - The following bids, mergers, acquisitions and disposals were reported by 1100 GMT on Wednesday:
** Canadian chemical company Canexus Corp CUS.TO , which rejected a hostile bid from Chemtrade Logistics Income Fund CHE_u.TO , confirmed on Tuesday that it is in talks with the company about a higher offer. Australian billboard company APN Outdoor Group Ltd APO.AX plans to buy rival oOh!Media Ltd OML.AX in an all-shares deal that values the target at A$735 million ($550.29 million), the companies said. Switzerland's Actelion Ltd ATLN.S is in talks with French drugmaker Sanofi SASY.PA about a deal, sources said on Wednesday, after U.S. healthcare group Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) JNJ.N abandoned efforts to buy the company. Dixons Carphone DC.L , Europe's largest electrical goods and phones retailer, and UK energy supplier SSE SSE.L have formed a strategic partnership to provide "connected home" services to a combined UK customer base of 10 million households, they said. A group including private equity firm KKR KKR.N and Macquarie Group Ltd MQG.AX on Wednesday offered up to A$7.3 billion ($5.47 billion) to buy Australian lottery operator Tatts Group TTS.AX , threatening a takeover deal with Tabcorp Holdings Ltd TAH.AX . European industrial equipment supplier Loxam SAS LOXAM.UL said it reached an agreement on the terms of its offer to buy UK's Lavendon Group Plc LVD.L , valuing the UK company at about 374 million pounds ($473.5 million). Japan's biggest glass maker, Asahi Glass 5201.T , said it will buy a controlling 59 percent stake in Thai plastics company Vinythai VNT.BK from Belgium chemical firm Solvay SA SOLB.BR . Bahrain-based Bank Alkhair said it had received approval from the central bank of Pakistan to sell its stake in Pakistan's Burj Bank to a subsidiary of Bahrain's Al Baraka Banking Group BARKA.BH . United Arab Emirates-based healthcare provider NMC Health NMC.L is buying Al Zahra Hospital in Sharjah for $560 million, NMC's deputy chief executive told Reuters. Russian energy company Gazprom GAZP.MM and Austrian oil and gas group OMV OMVV.VI reached an outline deal to swap a 38.5 percent stake in OMV's Norwegian unit for a 25 percent stake in a part of Gazprom's Urengoy gas field. Russian electronics retailer M.video MVID.MM said on Tuesday its main shareholders, including founder and CEO Alexander Tynkovan, would sell their interest in the company for around $730 million. South Africa's furniture retailer Steinhoff International SNHG.DE said it was in talks with Shoprite SHPJ.J to combine both firm's African retail businesses. Talks between shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk MAERSKb.CO and DONG Energy DENERG.CO to merge their oil and gas business have stalled after the two Danish firms could not agree on a price, industry and banking sources said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or