Breaking News
0

EMERGING MARKETS-Turkish markets rally after rate hike; Russia's move next?

Stock MarketsSep 14, 2018 12:20
Saved. See Saved Items.
This article has already been saved in your Saved Items
 
© Reuters. EMERGING MARKETS-Turkish markets rally after rate hike; Russia's move next?

* Russian central bank expected to hold or raise rates

* Argentina worries pound peso overnight

* Emerging market stocks see third day of gains

By Marc Jones

LONDON, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Emerging markets made a strong finish to the week, as shares enjoyed a third day of gains and Turkey's lira headed for its second best week since 2009 after the central bank hiked rates decisively.

There were still plenty of troublespots. Argentina's peso was pounded 3 percent overnight as worries about its finances returned and election nerves weakened the Brazilian real, but the overall mood seemed brighter.

China's blue-chip stocks and much of Asia closed higher on the prospect of new Sino-U.S. trade talks and India's rupee bounced off a record low as it emerged Prime Minister Narendra Modi would meet finance ministry officials to discuss the currency's slump. the relief rally in Turkey still in full swing, attention turned to Russia and whether its central bank would also lift interest rates following a tumble in the rouble and sanctions worries.

A Reuters poll showed economists expect it to hold fire at 7.25 percent. But its recent rhetoric and rouble weakness could open the door for a rate hike.

Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS) said it saw a 70 percent probability of no move and a 30 percent chance of a hike.

"Given uncertainty about the strength of FX pass-through, inflation and the U.S. sanctions outlook, we expect the (central bank) to keep its hawkish tone, leaving its options for a hike open," it said.

Guido Chamorro, co-head of U.S. dollar emerging debt for Pictet, said emerging markets were now having to hike rates to avoid their currencies been trampled as increasing numbers of developed economies begin to raise their borrowing costs.

"It has been a big week, Argentina is still an ongoing story," he said. "One thing that it demonstrates is that emerging markets can not decouple from the developed world."

Indonesia's rupiah IDR= , one of Asia's worst performers this year, picked up marginally against the dollar at 14,825, after the country's deputy central bank governor reiterated it too was ready to raise rates again. 24-country emerging market stocks index also appeared to be trying to reconnect with developed markets as the likes of Wall Street continue to grind higher .N

The EM benchmark was up for a third day running and for the third week in four. .MSCIEF

Big falls in countries like China and the general impact of weaker currencies has pushed it down 20 percent since the end of January, wiping around $950 billion off its value in the process.

Financial flow data measuring weekly changes only until Wednesday, before the rally kicked in, showed outflows of $1.2 billion from EM stocks funds and the largest EM debt outflows in 11 weeks, at $1.6 billion.

"You don't yet have synchronised inflation but now you have synchronised hawkishness from central banks," Pictet's Chamorro said.

EMERGING MARKETS-Turkish markets rally after rate hike; Russia's move next?
 

Related Articles

Add a Comment

Comment Guidelines

We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind: 

  • Enrich the conversation
  • Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
  • Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
  •  Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
  • NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
  • Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
  • Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
  • Only English comments will be allowed.

Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.

Write your thoughts here
 
Are you sure you want to delete this chart?
 
Post
Post also to:
 
Replace the attached chart with a new chart ?
1000
Your ability to comment is currently suspended due to negative user reports. Your status will be reviewed by our moderators.
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Thanks for your comment. Please note that all comments are pending until approved by our moderators. It may therefore take some time before it appears on our website.
 
Are you sure you want to delete this chart?
 
Post
 
Replace the attached chart with a new chart ?
1000
Your ability to comment is currently suspended due to negative user reports. Your status will be reviewed by our moderators.
Please wait a minute before you try to comment again.
Add Chart to Comment
Confirm Block

Are you sure you want to block %USER_NAME%?

By doing so, you and %USER_NAME% will not be able to see any of each other's Investing.com's posts.

%USER_NAME% was successfully added to your Block List

Since you’ve just unblocked this person, you must wait 48 hours before renewing the block.

Report this comment

I feel that this comment is:

Comment flagged

Thank You!

Your report has been sent to our moderators for review
Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.
Continue with Google
or
Sign up with Email