India shares higher at close of trade; Nifty 50 up 0.23%
Investing.com – India equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Metals , Consumer Durables and Capital Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 added 0.23% to hit a new 1-month high, while the BSE Sensex 30 index climbed 0.08%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were UltraTech Cement Ltd (NS: ULTC ), which rose 3.66% or 123.75 points to trade at 3504.00 at the close. Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (NS: BHEL ) added 3.63% or 4.65 points to end at 132.60 and Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ) was up 3.57% or 6.10 points to 177.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Idea Cellular Ltd (NS: IDEA ), which lost 2.82% or 1.95 points to trade at 67.30 in late trade. NTPC Limited (NS: NTPC ) declined 1.71% or 3.00 points to end at 172.70 and GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ) shed 1.71% or 7.60 points to 438.00.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were TATA STEEL LIMITED (BO: TISC ) which rose 2.95% to 467.60, Hindustan Unilever Ltd. (BO: HLL ) which was up 2.86% to settle at 864.60 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which gained 1.51% to close at 197.85.
The worst performers were NTPC Limited (BO: NTPC ) which was down 1.65% to 172.75 in late trade, Hero MotoCorp Limited (BO: HROM ) which lost 1.37% to settle at 3088.85 and Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was down 1.37% to 439.35 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 806 to 679 and 69 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1471 rose and 1218 declined, while 170 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 1.36% to 15.1825.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 0.12% or 1.40 to $1211.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 1.51% or 0.79 to hit $51.69 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 1.46% or 0.81 to trade at $54.66 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.29% to 68.050, while EUR/INR fell 0.03% to 72.6617.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.40% at 100.66.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or