India shares higher at close of trade; Nifty 50 up 1.11%
Investing.com – India equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Public Sector Undertakings , Banking and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 rose 1.11% to hit a new 52-week high, while the BSE Sensex 30 index added 1.05%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (NS: BHEL ), which rose 4.54% or 6.40 points to trade at 147.30 at the close. Bank Of Baroda (NS: BOB ) added 3.42% or 5.15 points to end at 155.85 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (NS: MRTI ) was up 3.08% or 135.85 points to 4550.55 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (NS: REDY ), which lost 3.26% or 117.50 points to trade at 3482.35 in late trade. GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ) declined 0.79% or 3.10 points to end at 391.65 and Bajaj Auto Limited (NS: BAJA ) shed 0.73% or 19.75 points to 2700.85.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which rose 4.29% to 147.10, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was up 3.11% to settle at 4550.60 and State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which gained 2.86% to close at 229.85.
The worst performers were Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (BO: REDY ) which was down 3.62% to 3474.85 in late trade, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which lost 1.04% to settle at 390.95 and Bajaj Auto Limited (BO: BAJA ) which was down 0.76% to 2700.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 998 to 473 and 64 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1074 rose and 543 declined, while 63 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 1.42% to 15.7175.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.45% or 6.00 to $1325.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September fell 0.63% or 0.28 to hit $43.91 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.63% or 0.29 to trade at $45.80 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.25% to 67.319, while EUR/INR rose 0.32% to 73.9510.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.05% at 97.36.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or