India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.71%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Healthcare , Auto and Capital Goods sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 lost 0.71%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index fell 0.68%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ), which rose 1.94% or 4.55 points to trade at 239.45 at the close. NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ) added 1.43% or 2.45 points to end at 173.65 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) was up 1.04% or 1.70 points to 165.70 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ), which lost 5.88% or 42.70 points to trade at 683.60 in late trade. Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NS: SUN ) declined 5.20% or 26.00 points to end at 474.35 and Adani Port and Special Economic Zone Ltd (NS: APSE ) shed 4.23% or 17.55 points to 397.25.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which rose 1.25% to 173.55, Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which was up 0.98% to settle at 165.55 and Asian Paints Ltd. (BO: ASPN ) which gained 0.84% to close at 1155.25.
The worst performers were Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which was down 5.13% to 474.75 in late trade, Adani Port and Special Economic Zone Ltd (BO: APSE ) which lost 4.12% to settle at 396.95 and Tata Motors Ltd (BO: TAMO ) which was down 3.17% to 416.75 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1285 to 263 and 7 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1939 fell and 571 advanced, while 112 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 5.34% to 13.4525 a new 3-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.85% or 10.67 to $1273.27 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.57% or 0.28 to hit $49.45 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.31 to trade at $52.45 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.17% to 63.805, while EUR/INR rose 0.12% to 74.9310.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.05% at 93.43.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or