India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 1.11%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Metals , Auto and Public Sector Undertakings sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 fell 1.11% to hit a new 1-month low, while the BSE Sensex 30 index declined 1.01%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (NS: REDY ), which rose 3.68% or 71.55 points to trade at 2016.00 at the close. Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ) added 2.88% or 19.75 points to end at 705.00 and GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ) was up 1.23% or 4.50 points to 368.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ), which lost 7.14% or 17.00 points to trade at 221.00 in late trade. State Bank Of India (NS: SBI ) declined 5.58% or 16.55 points to end at 280.15 and Bank of Baroda Ltd (NS: BOB ) shed 4.18% or 6.20 points to 142.25.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which rose 3.20% to 2011.35, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was up 1.54% to settle at 369.40 and Lupin Ltd (BO: LUPN ) which gained 0.71% to close at 942.25.
The worst performers were State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which was down 5.36% to 280.65 in late trade, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (BO: MAHM ) which lost 3.10% to settle at 1346.35 and Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which was down 2.37% to 1546.55 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 934 to 614 and 12 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1512 fell and 963 advanced, while 113 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 10.09% to 15.1950 a new 6-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.23% or 3.02 to $1293.12 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September fell 0.68% or 0.33 to hit $48.26 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.54% or 0.28 to trade at $51.62 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.00% to 64.162, while EUR/INR rose 0.08% to 75.5148.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 93.32.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or