India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.27%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Capital Goods , Metals and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 fell 0.27%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index fell 0.21%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Tata Motors DV Ltd (NS: TAMdv ), which rose 4.32% or 11.45 points to trade at 276.45 at the close. Tata Motors Ltd (NS: TAMO ) added 4.23% or 19.05 points to end at 469.55 and GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ) was up 3.06% or 11.65 points to 390.65 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bank Of Baroda (NS: BOB ), which lost 3.43% or 6.25 points to trade at 175.75 in late trade. Larsen & Toubro Limited (NS: LART ) declined 3.23% or 56.30 points to end at 1684.45 and Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ) shed 2.86% or 15.50 points to 526.20.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Tata Motors Ltd (BO: TAMO ) which rose 4.30% to 469.45, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was up 2.56% to settle at 390.20 and Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone (BO: APSE ) which gained 2.41% to close at 340.05.
The worst performers were Larsen & Toubro Limited (BO: LART ) which was down 3.22% to 1684.95 in late trade, Cipla Ltd. (BO: CIPL ) which lost 2.40% to settle at 520.35 and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd (BO: REDY ) which was down 2.24% to 2520.55 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1246 to 310 and 6 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1997 fell and 652 advanced, while 135 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 3.05% to 11.8300.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.25% or 3.10 to $1252.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.02% or 0.01 to hit $51.46 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.15% or 0.08 to trade at $54.23 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.22% to 64.785, while EUR/INR fell 0.12% to 72.4819.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 97.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or