India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.27%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Metals , IT and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 fell 0.27%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index declined 0.16%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were AXIS Bank Ltd (NS: AXBK ), which rose 3.81% or 19.80 points to trade at 540.00 at the close. Grasim Industries Ltd (NS: GRAS ) added 2.14% or 22.50 points to end at 1072.95 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) was up 1.75% or 2.85 points to 165.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Tata Steel Ltd (NS: TISC ), which lost 2.45% or 14.00 points to trade at 557.20 in late trade. Bharti Infratel Ltd (NS: BHRI ) declined 2.18% or 9.05 points to end at 406.10 and Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ) shed 2.00% or 15.35 points to 750.50.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which rose 3.87% to 540.30, Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which was up 1.75% to settle at 165.90 and HDFC Bank Ltd (BO: HDBK ) which gained 0.92% to close at 1708.15.
The worst performers were Tata Steel Ltd (BO: TISC ) which was down 2.64% to 555.90 in late trade, NTPC Ltd (BO: NTPC ) which lost 1.22% to settle at 165.30 and Infosys Ltd (BO: INFY ) which was down 1.11% to 969.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 847 to 707 and 11 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1407 fell and 1244 advanced, while 135 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 0.53% to 11.3150.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.43% or 5.35 to $1236.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.02% or 0.01 to hit $47.33 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.08% or 0.04 to trade at $49.74 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.19% to 64.418, while EUR/INR rose 0.15% to 74.1530.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 94.81.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or