India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.28%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Consumer Durables , Oil & Gas and Green Energy sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 fell 0.28%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index lost 0.18%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (NS: BHEL ), which rose 15.56% or 21.50 points to trade at 159.65 at the close. Bank Of Baroda (NS: BOB ) added 3.13% or 5.30 points to end at 174.80 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) was up 2.68% or 6.40 points to 244.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Yes Bank Ltd. (NS: YESB ), which lost 2.72% or 39.25 points to trade at 1401.55 in late trade. Tata Power Co. Ltd (NS: TTPW ) declined 2.29% or 1.80 points to end at 76.70 and Asian Paints Ltd. (NS: ASPN ) shed 2.24% or 26.95 points to 1177.20.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which rose 15.50% to 159.80, State Bank Of India (BO: SBI ) which was up 2.74% to settle at 266.55 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which gained 2.51% to close at 245.10.
The worst performers were Tata Power Co. Ltd (BO: TTPW ) which was down 2.36% to 76.55 in late trade, Housing Development Finance Corp. (BO: HDFC ) which lost 1.87% to settle at 1427.70 and AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which was down 1.72% to 625.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 736 to 716 and 79 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 828 rose and 804 declined, while 49 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 3.10% to 13.1450.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.13% or 1.75 to $1352.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 1.05% or 0.47 to hit $45.30 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.16% or 0.55 to trade at $47.81 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.18% to 66.376, while EUR/INR rose 0.05% to 74.6720.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.02% at 94.82.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or