The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ), which rose 2.54% or 17.45 points to trade at 705.00 at the close. Grasim Industries Ltd (NS: GRAS ) added 2.16% or 22.45 points to end at 1063.85 and Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (NS: BHEL ) was up 1.69% or 2.85 points to 171.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Idea Cellular Ltd (NS: IDEA ), which lost 10.08% or 10.90 points to trade at 97.20 in late trade. AXIS Bank Ltd. (NS: AXBK ) declined 2.83% or 14.65 points to end at 502.50 and Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (NS: TCS ) shed 1.97% or 49.65 points to 2476.10.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were NTPC Limited (BO: NTPC ) which rose 0.87% to 161.50, Bharti Airtel Ltd (BO: BRTI ) which was up 0.76% to settle at 349.45 and Coal India Limited (BO: COAL ) which gained 0.76% to close at 291.95.
The worst performers were AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which was down 2.41% to 504.55 in late trade, ICICI Bank Ltd. (BO: ICBK ) which lost 1.99% to settle at 275.15 and Infosys Ltd (BO: INFY ) which was down 1.87% to 1020.60 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 778 to 724 and 75 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1426 fell and 1324 advanced, while 187 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 1.39% to 12.0175.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.22% or 2.65 to $1232.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 1.32% or 0.65 to hit $48.66 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 1.14% or 0.59 to trade at $51.17 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.17% to 65.376, while EUR/INR rose 0.03% to 70.3218.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.09% at 100.05.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.