The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ), which rose 1.75% or 11.45 points to trade at 664.30 at the close. NTPC Limited (NS: NTPC ) added 1.48% or 2.35 points to end at 161.70 and Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ) was up 1.30% or 2.35 points to 183.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included TATA STEEL LIMITED (NS: TISC ), which lost 2.70% or 12.50 points to trade at 449.90 in late trade. Ambuja Cements Ltd. (NS: ABUJ ) declined 2.75% or 6.80 points to end at 240.75 and Coal India Limited (NS: COAL ) shed 2.29% or 6.55 points to 279.25.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were NTPC Limited (BO: NTPC ) which rose 1.60% to 161.70, Wipro Ltd. (BO: WIPR ) which was up 0.93% to settle at 496.35 and HDFC Bank Ltd. (BO: HDBK ) which gained 0.68% to close at 1445.75.
The worst performers were TATA STEEL LIMITED (BO: TISC ) which was down 2.55% to 450.25 in late trade, Coal India Limited (BO: COAL ) which lost 2.34% to settle at 279.10 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which was down 1.76% to 665.30 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1059 to 508 and 9 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1737 fell and 1059 advanced, while 132 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 4.06% to 12.3750.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.26% or 3.40 to $1288.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.72% or 0.38 to hit $52.27 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.81% or 0.45 to trade at $54.91 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.24% to 64.570, while EUR/INR rose 0.32% to 68.8605.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.16% at 100.04.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.