India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.42%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Oil & Gas , Public Sector Undertakings and Technology sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 fell 0.42%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index declined 0.26%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ), which rose 6.94% or 41.80 points to trade at 643.90 at the close. Reliance Industries Ltd (NS: RELI ) added 1.95% or 26.45 points to end at 1383.95 and Wipro Ltd (NS: WIPR ) was up 1.85% or 4.75 points to 260.85 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. (NS: IOC ), which lost 3.24% or 13.65 points to trade at 407.05 in late trade. Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. (NS: BPCL ) declined 3.12% or 21.60 points to end at 670.40 and Bharti Infratel Limited (NS: BHRI ) shed 2.93% or 11.30 points to 374.80.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Reliance Industries Ltd (BO: RELI ) which rose 2.11% to 1384.50, Wipro Ltd (BO: WIPR ) which was up 1.86% to settle at 260.80 and Cipla Ltd. (BO: CIPL ) which gained 1.74% to close at 549.15.
The worst performers were Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (BO: TCS ) which was down 2.42% to 2411.10 in late trade, Larsen & Toubro Limited (BO: LART ) which lost 1.46% to settle at 1735.80 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (BO: ONGC ) which was down 1.18% to 167.50 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 790 to 768 and 7 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1331 rose and 1249 declined, while 159 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India VIX , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 1.30% to 11.3250.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 1.14% or 14.49 to $1261.41 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 0.16% or 0.07 to hit $44.66 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.03 to trade at $47.03 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.39% to 64.425, while EUR/INR fell 0.14% to 71.9530.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.36% at 97.26.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or