The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ), which rose 2.34% or 9.70 points to trade at 424.80 at the close. Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. (NS: ARBN ) added 1.05% or 7.25 points to end at 697.90 and Tata Power Co. Ltd (NS: TTPW ) was up 0.85% or 0.65 points to 77.25 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bharti Infratel Limited (NS: BHRI ), which lost 3.01% or 10.700 points to trade at 344.950 in late trade. Asian Paints Ltd. (NS: ASPN ) declined 2.32% or 20.90 points to end at 879.00 and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NS: SUN ) shed 2.19% or 14.15 points to 633.20.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which rose 2.23% to 424.35, ICICI Bank Ltd. (BO: ICBK ) which was up 0.51% to settle at 256.90 and Cipla Ltd. (BO: CIPL ) which gained 0.43% to close at 568.45.
The worst performers were Asian Paints Ltd. (BO: ASPN ) which was down 2.35% to 879.70 in late trade, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (BO: SUN ) which lost 2.30% to settle at 632.20 and Housing Development Finance Corp. (BO: HDFC ) which was down 1.58% to 1250.25 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 922 to 559 and 58 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1531 fell and 1065 advanced, while 160 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 2.72% to 14.8375 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was up 0.13% or 1.45 to $1138.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.32% or 0.17 to hit $53.12 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.33% or 0.18 to trade at $55.39 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.04% to 67.820, while EUR/INR fell 0.16% to 70.8038.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.06% at 102.86.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.