India shares lower at close of trade; Nifty 50 down 0.67%
Investing.com – India equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Metals , Technology and IT sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NSE, the Nifty 50 lost 0.67%, while the BSE Sensex 30 index declined 0.80%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (NS: BHEL ), which rose 3.00% or 4.10 points to trade at 140.90 at the close. Bharat Petroleum Corp. Ltd. (NS: BPCL ) added 2.84% or 16.50 points to end at 598.25 and GAIL Ltd (NS: GAIL ) was up 2.07% or 7.55 points to 373.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone (NS: APSE ), which lost 3.09% or 8.35 points to trade at 261.75 in late trade. Wipro Ltd . (NS: WIPR ) declined 3.01% or 15.65 points to end at 504.00 and Idea Cellular Ltd (NS: IDEA ) shed 2.75% or 2.70 points to 95.65.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which rose 3.00% to 140.85, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was up 2.04% to settle at 373.20 and ITC Ltd (BO: ITC ) which gained 1.24% to close at 253.30.
The worst performers were Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which was down 3.18% to 170.30 in late trade, Wipro Ltd. (BO: WIPR ) which lost 2.84% to settle at 505.10 and TATA STEEL LIMITED (BO: TISC ) which was down 2.04% to 372.40 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 855 to 598 and 66 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 920 fell and 692 advanced, while 66 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was down 1.50% to 13.2850 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.21% or 2.80 to $1326.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.15% or 0.07 to hit $46.70 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.20% or 0.10 to trade at $48.95 a barrel.
USD/INR was down 0.09% to 67.050, while EUR/INR rose 0.08% to 75.7160.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.13% at 94.61.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or