The biggest gainers of the session on the Nifty 50 were Punjab National Bank (NS: PNBK ), which rose 2.89% or 2.60 points to trade at 92.60 at the close. Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NS: HALC ) added 2.85% or 3.30 points to end at 119.05 and Vedanta Ltd (NS: VDAN ) was up 2.30% or 2.75 points to 122.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bharti Infratel Limited (NS: BHRI ), which lost 4.63% or 16.900 points to trade at 348.200 in late trade. ICICI Bank Ltd . (NS: ICBK ) declined 3.59% or 8.90 points to end at 239.05 and Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (NS: MRTI ) shed 2.98% or 125.50 points to 4084.10.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Hindalco Industries Ltd. (BO: HALC ) which rose 2.68% to 118.80, Vedanta Ltd (BO: VDAN ) which was up 2.17% to settle at 122.35 and Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which gained 1.08% to close at 382.35.
The worst performers were ICICI Bank Ltd. (BO: ICBK ) which was down 3.52% to 239.60 in late trade, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which lost 2.93% to settle at 4084.00 and Bharti Airtel Ltd (BO: BRTI ) which was down 1.65% to 346.00 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 971 to 473 and 60 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 1076 fell and 520 advanced, while 49 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of Nifty 50 options, was up 3.77% to 17.6975 a new 1-month high.
In commodities trading, Gold for August delivery was up 1.50% or 19.35 to $1307.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 1.48% or 0.71 to hit $47.30 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 1.45% or 0.71 to trade at $48.26 a barrel.
USD/INR was up 0.33% to 67.299, while EUR/INR fell 0.09% to 75.4590.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.18% at 94.84.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.