Nikkei rises for 4th day on weaker yen; Fujitsu jumps
* A USD/JPY level of 105 seen within reach - analyst
* Financial, exporters, mining stocks outperform
By Ayai Tomisawa
TOKYO, Oct 6 (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei share average rose for a fourth straight session on Thursday as a weaker yen boosted investors' risk appetite, while Fujitsu Ltd surged after a report that Lenovo is taking over Fujitsu's computer business. by gains in such cyclical stocks as financials and exporters, the Nikkei .N225 gained 0.8 percent to 16,949.51 points.
The dollar stood tall against the yen, trading at 103.34 yen JPY= , not far from a four-week high of 103.57 yen touched on Wednesday.
Fujitsu 6702.T surged as much as 8.6 percent to a near nine-month high after the Nikkei reported that China's Lenovo Group Ltd 0992.HK is set to take over its personal computer operations as the Japanese company seeks to focus on IT services and other higher-priority businesses.
Sentiment was also supported by upbeat U.S. services sector activity, which offset a weaker-than-expected report on private-sector job growth ahead of Friday's jobs report.
"It might be too early to be optimistic, but some people started to see that a dollar level of 105 yen is seen within a reach and Japanese corporate earnings will be helped," said Hiroyuki Nakai, a chief strategist at Tokai Tokyo Research Center.
Financial stocks outperformed, with Nomura Holdings 8604.T surging 2.5 percent, while insurers Sompo Holdings 8630.T jumping 7.5 percent and Dai-ichi Life Holdings 8750.T jumping 4.7 percent.
Exporters gained ground, with Toyota Motor Corp 7203.T advancing 1.4 percent while Panasonic Corp 6752.T rising 1.6 percent.
Mining stocks attracted buying after oil prices remained near June highs during Asian trade, levels reached the previous session when they were buoyed by a fall in U.S. crude inventories.
Inpex Corp 1605.T soared 3.8 percent while Japan Petroleum Exploration Co 1662.T surged 3.6 percent.
The broader Topix .TOPX rose 0.8 percent to 1,357.98 and the JPX-Nikkei Index 400 .JPXNK400 added 0.8 percent to 12,161.77. (Editing by Kim Coghill)
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or