(For a live blog on European stocks, type LIVE/ in an Eikon news window)
LONDON, Jan 24 (Reuters) - European shares inched higher on Thursday as better-than-expected results from chipmaker STMicro delivered a boost to the tech sector, while oil stocks weighed on the market.
Chipmaker STMicroelectronics STM.MI jumped 7 percent after reporting a fourth-quarter margin slightly above targets, though it predicted a sharp fall in first-quarter sales. tech sector .SX8P climbed 1.4 percent as investors pounced on the bit of good news from chipmakers which have been grappling with slowing demand.
Disappointing results dented some.
Shares in Danish pharmaceuticals company Novozymes NZYMb.CO fell 4.3 percent, the biggest STOXX fallers, after the CFO said Middle East markets were likely to remain weak in 2019. fashion brand Tod's TOD.MI was also punished by the market, falling 6.2 percent after it said like-for-like sales for 2018 fell 3 percent due to a worsening of the performance in Italy and the rest of Europe. notes moved some stocks.
Delivery Hero DHER.DE shares fell 3.8 percent after JP Morgan cut the stock to "neutral" from "overweight".
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.