The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 1.82% or 1.33 points to trade at 74.26 at the close. Chevron Corporation (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.30% or 1.33 points to end at 103.55 and EI du Pont de Nemours and Company (NYSE: DD ) was up 1.20% or 0.82 points to 69.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 1.23% or 1.04 points to trade at 83.37 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 0.98% or 1.33 points to end at 134.82 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 0.78% or 0.24 points to 30.48.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which rose 17.43% to 33.88, Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which was up 9.07% to settle at 6.195 and Williams Companies Inc (NYSE: WMB ) which gained 7.83% to close at 28.10.
The worst performers were Agilent Technologies Inc (NYSE: A ) which was down 3.51% to 46.73 in late trade, CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which lost 2.45% to settle at 22.74 and Staples Inc (NASDAQ: SPLS ) which was down 2.19% to 8.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sunedison Semiconductor Ltd (NASDAQ: SEMI ) which rose 39.01% to 11.51, GWG Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GWGH ) which was up 35.25% to settle at 10.82 and Sophiris Bio Inc (NASDAQ: SPHS ) which gained 27.64% to close at 5.680.
The worst performers were Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ: EARS ) which was down 59.81% to 2.150 in late trade, Cerulean Ph (NASDAQ: CERU ) which lost 56.20% to settle at 1.200 and Juniper Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: JNP ) which was down 19.13% to 5.750 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2208 to 954 and 86 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1677 rose and 862 declined, while 97 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.23% to 11.43.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was up 0.61% or 8.25 to $1357.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 3.21% or 1.50 to hit $48.29 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 2.03% or 1.01 to trade at $50.86 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.58% to 1.1355, while USD/JPY fell 0.35% to 99.93.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.61% at 94.11.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.