The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 2.02% or 1.86 points to trade at 94.13 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 1.16% or 2.05 points to end at 178.70 and United Technologies Corporation (NYSE: UTX ) was up 0.95% or 1.06 points to 112.99 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 0.94% or 0.52 points to trade at 55.04 in late trade. Visa Inc (NYSE: V ) declined 0.65% or 0.58 points to end at 88.78 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 0.42% or 0.33 points to 78.26.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Staples Inc (NASDAQ: SPLS ) which rose 9.82% to 9.51, Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was up 8.87% to settle at 8.59 and Chesapeake Energy Corporation (NYSE: CHK ) which gained 6.76% to close at 6.320.
The worst performers were Acuity Brands Inc (NYSE: AYI ) which was down 14.77% to 173.93 in late trade, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which lost 7.01% to settle at 100.78 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was down 5.51% to 43.92 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were General Communication Inc (NASDAQ: GNCMA ) which rose 62.40% to 33.39, China Auto Logistics Inc (NASDAQ: CALI ) which was up 54.89% to settle at 2.850 and One Horizon (NASDAQ: OHGI ) which gained 44.40% to close at 0.4000.
The worst performers were Corvus Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CRVS ) which was down 49.98% to 10.36 in late trade, Unilife Corp (NASDAQ: UNIS ) which lost 26.47% to settle at 1.2500 and Terravia Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: TVIA ) which was down 24.64% to 0.505 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1597 to 1595 and 50 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1462 fell and 1025 advanced, while 131 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.33% to 11.72.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.35% or 4.35 to $1258.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.73% or 0.87 to hit $51.11 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 2.05% or 1.09 to trade at $54.21 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.0671, while USD/JPY fell 0.15% to 110.73.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 100.43.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.