U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.30%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Financials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.30%, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.57%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 0.88%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 2.10% or 1.09 points to trade at 53.07 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 1.64% or 1.23 points to end at 76.26 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 1.28% or 1.36 points to 107.44 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE: XOM ), which lost 1.10% or 1.00 points to trade at 89.89 in late trade. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) declined 0.59% or 0.18 points to end at 30.10 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 0.54% or 0.65 points to 120.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which rose 7.62% to 14.83, NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was up 5.93% to settle at 13.03 and General Motors Company (NYSE: GM ) which gained 5.52% to close at 37.09.
The worst performers were Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE: VLO ) which was down 3.59% to 67.89 in late trade, Tesoro Corporation (NYSE: TSO ) which lost 3.44% to settle at 85.73 and Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: MPC ) which was down 3.19% to 51.24 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Orexigen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: OREX ) which rose 64.25% to 3.400, Ignite Restaurant Group Inc (NASDAQ: IRG ) which was up 46.19% to settle at 0.921 and COPsync Inc (NASDAQ: COYN ) which gained 38.48% to close at 1.0400.
The worst performers were Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which was down 47.40% to 2.63 in late trade, Acura Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ACUR ) which lost 16.90% to settle at 0.698 and Social Reality Inc (NASDAQ: SRAX ) which was down 15.96% to 5.1601 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2711 to 536 and 33 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1942 rose and 610 declined, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.78% to 11.85.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was up 0.25% or 2.85 to $1164.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 1.68% or 0.88 to hit $53.21 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 1.71% or 0.95 to trade at $56.42 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.73% to 1.0482, while USD/JPY fell 0.35% to 117.34.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.66% at 102.56.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or