The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which rose 1.72% or 1.29 points to trade at 76.34 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 1.41% or 1.01 points to end at 72.78 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 1.28% or 0.44 points to 34.68 in late trade.
Biggest losers included JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which lost 0.91% or 0.85 points to trade at 92.25 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 0.78% or 1.80 points to end at 228.60 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 0.27% or 0.41 points to 152.88.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which rose 5.46% to 43.64, Frontier Communications Corp (NASDAQ: FTR ) which was up 5.12% to settle at 14.77 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which gained 4.68% to close at 23.24.
The worst performers were F5 Networks Inc (NASDAQ: FFIV ) which was down 3.47% to 123.84 in late trade, Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which lost 3.38% to settle at 130.42 and Xilinx Inc (NASDAQ: XLNX ) which was down 2.36% to 66.25 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ocean Rig UDW Inc (NASDAQ: ORIG ) which rose 66.50% to 0.1998, Rand Logistics Inc (NASDAQ: RLOG ) which was up 63.67% to settle at 0.3920 and FalconStor Software Inc (NASDAQ: FALC ) which gained 26.88% to close at 0.279.
The worst performers were TrovaGene Inc (NASDAQ: TROV ) which was down 20.57% to 1.120 in late trade, Cyberark Software Ltd (NASDAQ: CYBR ) which lost 16.31% to settle at 42.68 and Westport Fuel Systems Inc (NASDAQ: WPRT ) which was down 15.46% to 1.640 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2228 to 884 and 128 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1291 rose and 1154 declined, while 174 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.83% to 9.62 a new all time low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.92% or 11.14 to $1228.44 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.17% or 0.54 to hit $46.62 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 1.22% or 0.59 to trade at $49.01 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.62% to 1.1469, while USD/JPY fell 0.69% to 112.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.70% at 94.89.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.