The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which rose 2.71% or 3.35 points to trade at 126.99 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 2.33% or 0.78 points to end at 34.23 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.70% or 1.71 points to 102.42 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 1.00% or 0.46 points to trade at 45.38 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 0.80% or 0.43 points to end at 53.77 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 0.51% or 0.56 points to 109.13.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: FTR ) which rose 6.61% to 1.29, Qorvo Inc (NASDAQ: QRVO ) which was up 5.52% to settle at 71.54 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which gained 5.02% to close at 134.31.
The worst performers were Southwestern Energy Company (NYSE: SWN ) which was down 4.31% to 7.33 in late trade, Urban Outfitters Inc (NASDAQ: URBN ) which lost 3.05% to settle at 20.95 and Viacom B Inc (NASDAQ: VIAB ) which was down 2.46% to 33.76 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cellular Bi (NASDAQ: CBMG ) which rose 62.26% to 8.60, NII Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: NIHD ) which was up 54.58% to settle at 0.572 and Industrial Services of America Inc (NASDAQ: IDSA ) which gained 38.42% to close at 1.380.
The worst performers were Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which was down 33.79% to 0.9600 in late trade, Forterra Inc (NASDAQ: FRTA ) which lost 24.29% to settle at 14.93 and One Horizon Group Inc (NASDAQ: OHGI ) which was down 21.77% to 0.9700 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2366 to 843 and 36 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1676 rose and 869 declined, while 88 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.19% to 10.42.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.22% or 2.64 to $1230.34 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 2.01% or 0.96 to hit $48.80 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.79% or 0.91 to trade at $51.75 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.40% to 1.0976, while USD/JPY rose 0.33% to 113.75.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.24% at 98.81.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.